Copyrights of Vietnam News Agency
5, Ly Thuong Kiet Street , Hanoi, Vietnam
OANA 44: News agencies highlight 44th OANA Executive Board Meeting
Hanoi, April 20 (VNA) – The 44th Meeting of the Organization of Asia-Pacific News Agencies (OANA) Executive Board, which was held in Hanoi on April 19, was highlighted by regional news agencies.
Chinese Xinhua News Agency reported that the event centered discussions on topics including fake news and fact-checking.
It quoted the Vietnamese deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam as saying at the opening ceremony that in recent years, in the wake of numerous forms of communications based on modern technologies as well as fast and wide dissemination of fake news, the OANA serves as not only a channel to provide information to news organizations and partners, but also a fact checker to help bolster the trust of the public in traditional press.
According to him, pursuing a more professional and innovative approach to journalism will lend news organizations the strength to captivate audience and bolster the public's confidence, especially when fake news are doing damage to the image of the press.
In his speech at the meeting, OANA President Aslan Aslanov, who is also chairman of the board of AZERTAC (state news agency of Azerbaijan), said that as online media and social networks are expanding and a dangerous trend such as fake news is growing, "we must make continuous efforts in order to address these challenges and maintain the accuracy, objectivity and impartiality of news," according to Xinhua.
He called for OANA members to immediately apply innovations, continue to modernize their organizations and create more flexible news exchange mechanisms, the agency reported.
Themed "For Professional and Innovative Journalism," the meeting was attended by about 40 delegates from China's Xinhua News Agency, Russia's ITAR-TASS, Japan's Kyodo, the Republic of Korea's Yonhap, among others.
Meanwhile, Azerbaijani news agency AZERTAC highlighted the meeting hosted by Vietnamese Prime Minister of Vietnam Nguyen Xuan Phuc with head delegates to the 44th OANA Executive Board Meeting.
According to AZERTAC, at the meeting with the delegation led by OANA President, AZERTAC’s Chairman of the Board Aslan Aslanov, the Vietnamese PM stressed the organization’s regional importance. He said OANA member agencies have a role to play in preventing the spread of fake news.
Aslan Aslanov hailed relations between AZERTAC and VNA, and noted the agencies’ role in providing the people of Azerbaijan and Vietnam with reliable news.
Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan
said Vietnam places a great emphasis on its relations with Azerbaijan, and
praised relations between the two countries. He underlined the possibility of
opening a direct flight between Hanoi and Baku. The prime minister said many
Vietnamese who received higher education in Azerbaijan now hold high state and
government offices and contribute to the deepening of relations between the two
countries, stated the article.
At the same time, Iran news agency IRNA quoted its representative Gholamreza Nemati as saying that OANA members should exchange their experiences to promote their news agencies based on the changes occurred on media industry on a daily basis.
It added that the 44th Meeting of the OANA Executive Board focused on three topics: strategies responding to changes in information use orienting towards video clips; fake news and fact-checking; and regaining trust for mainstream news.
OANA was established in Bangkok, Thailand, on December 22, 1961, as an initiative of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO).
At present, OANA brings together 44 news agencies from 35 countries. OANA members are responsible for two-thirds of information circulated throughout the world.-VNA
- Delegates from OANA members visit Ha Long Bay04/21/2019 16:13
- 44th OANA Executive Board Meeting – a success04/20/2019 15:57
- OANA 44: Quang Ninh chairman receives OANA delegation04/20/2019 15:16
- PM receives OANA members’ leaders 04/19/2019 20:46
- OANA 44: How to deal with fake news in modern journalism?04/19/2019 19:06
- OANA members value meeting’s theme, VNA’s hosting role04/19/2019 18:56
- OANA delegates impressed by Hanoi’s development 04/19/2019 18:14
- OANA 44: Fighting fake news an important task for news agencies04/19/2019 18:01
- OANA – a prestigious journalism forum: Hanoi leader04/19/2019 16:50
- OANA Executive Board’s 44th meeting wraps up 04/19/2019 16:44
- OANA44: Vietnam News Agency, Emirates News Agency enter professional cooperation04/19/2019 15:12
- OANA 44: Innovation essential for news agency growth04/19/2019 11:32
- OANA Executive Board convenes 44th meeting in Hanoi04/19/2019 09:56
- OANA 44: VNA contributes to Vietnam’s international integration04/18/2019 19:26
- OANA44: Bernama Director underlines professional journalism, press agencies’ prestige04/18/2019 15:06